DYEING WITH KOOL-AID


Some weeks ago I started preparing to weave a rug using Kool -Aid sari silk ribbon and British wools about chunky size.

One packet dissolved in a little hot water with extra to fill to about half full. Stirred an held two of my small skeins of wool. ( wrapped around my arm about 40 times.) or one skein of wool and one of sari silk. (20 wraps). Left to soak for 24 hours.




First lot drying in the garden. Lovely vibrant colours.





Second lot.



I used bags from bread to store the wool because it is aerated but safe from moths, ideal. This was the start of the weaving project using cotton warp.





56cms x 134cms
The finished rug but needs final wash and ends trimmed yet.



After washing and finishing measuring 53cms x 128cms



 Just a record so I can remember how the colour would come out. I was warned that the Lemonade was not a good colour but helped by adding yellow food dye, which is what I used.

I actually only used half the quantity I had prepared but I am sure the rest will be used up with no problem.

This was a fun first weaving project but as it is all a steep learning curve for me someone kindly suggested I might just as well buy acidic dyes.

I see George Weil sells these as well as many other dyes and craft equipment so I might try these for future projects.
https://www.georgeweil.com/materials/dyes/acid-dyes-3/

Comments

Popular Posts