SCOURING ANNABEL, A BLUE FACED LEICESTER FLEECE

 My first Fleece! Annabel for convenience - a Blue Faced Leicester no obvious Vegetable matter! Bought through Ebay for £10 plus postage. Not sure the boxes and bags will work but it's my idea of sorting locks from other areas. Hoping it will make combing and carding choices easier for later. Locks are 5-7inches, and so soft.







This is how I scoured.

Washed twice in very hot water - one inch from tap in a plastic bowl plus one kettle full of boiling water and lots of washing up liquid. Stood for about 30 mins not long enough to let the lanolin set again.

Then washed the third time with just hottest tap water.

Rinsed in cooler water each time about three times or until the water is clearer.






A photo is worth a thousand words. Very time consuming with the boxes and sorting lock. I am not sure it will be necessary unless I decide to comb wool for making Worsted yarn, for now I am more interested in carding with hand carders. This was before I had my loom, I had experimented with a drop spindle.

My first spun wool from a Blue Faced Leicester, was given to my Granddaughter who used it for weaving a jerkin.



For warp she used was Wool City British Wool Collection - Chunky.

Comments

Popular Posts