DRUM CARDER DISASTER

 


As many beginners probably do I gave much consideration as to whether to buy a drum carder because of the cost  and I looked on various Facebook groups to try and see what others were doing with them.
Eventually I decided to buy one.



My mistake was to use a Leicester Longwool fleece which having a longish staple and being curly did not work out well.



Some rolags from drum carder 


Spun wool.    
I posted in one Facebook group and was told that I needed to use wool with shorter staple and that Longwools were not suitable. It's a pity I hadn't established that before I bought the drum carder because Leicester Longwool I have in plenty having bought about ten fleece to date with several still to process.

So the drum carder has been put aside for now but next time I look for fleece to buy I will aim to get something like a Romney or Suffolk.


Comments

  1. I appreciate your comments here about the drum carder. I have been longing for one, but they are expensive. Recently, my husband bought a pair of hand carders for me, and I've slowly learned how to make rolags with them, and I'm satisfied with that - I find it fun. I don't have that very long staple wool as you do , though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts