A BLACK LEICESTER LONGWOOL BLANKET FROM A SHEEP CALLED FUDGE.


My latest and first full width weaving made on my 120cm or 48" rigid heddle loom. It is so very soft thank you Fudge.



Tassels twisted and knotted 3 +3 then plyed back.

                                                                           


I was nervous about wet finishing in a machine but due to size I took the plunge and did it on a wash setting. It was fine and yes it did close up the weaving but it also made it feel much softer.

163 x115 cms before wet finishing. Finished blanket 147 x 108 not including tassels which is about to be expected a 10% loss.

I used a 5 dent heddle spun about Aran weight and used 13 of my balls for warp and about 7 for weft. One ball fills a bobbin on my Ashford Traditional spinning wheel.

 


The home spun was rather stretchy and I struggled to even out during warping process hence the longer bits. I slayed it and as I joined each new ball I left ample length at the knots at either end, to cope with adjustments.
My rather Heath Robinson approach of putting the loom stand on blocks to help my back was ok but I need to think of a better way to hold the stand down.
I use a rod rather than a peg and fasten the holders onto two arm chairs.


I found this double piano stool to be ideal as it allowed me to slide enough to reach each end with the rather long stick shuttles.


I wanted a loose/open weave and was pleased with the progress although there were lots of tension issues. Next time I need to wrap paper around both ends as I roll and hope that sorts tension out better. but I was able to adjust a little as I went with pencils and then before twisting tassels able to even out the sides of the weaving which were a bit puckered.


I pulled the tips for carding and used about 50/50 dark and light in each preparation of rolags.


The mixed fibres gave a nice effect. 



About 14 cms or 5" locks the blacker were softer than the whiter.


I left the tips in this hence the brown flecks a previous spinning of this for another blanket I cut the brown tips out. https://orangecottagescrafts.blogspot.com/2021/07/woven-rugthrow-from-home-spun-leicester.html



I prefer to make small half hanks using my arm and putting over the back of a chair to put ties on. 


Sitting in the sun to dry. I now use a larger table with holes which allows the air to blow through better.


These days I scour smaller quantities each day using two washing up bowls.
I run hot water from tap to about two inches  (comes to my second knuckle of my finger). I boil a kettle of water and put in a pan to stay hot while I boil the second kettle full. I add Fairy liquid about 6 good squirts then the near boiling water from pan and kettle and it should be about 150F or 60C ( I have a cooking thermometer) I leave to soak for 20-30 minutes to dissolve the lanolin, if the water cools too much the lanolin will reset. I then wash again in just tap water. Fudge was a bit dirty so I did another wash leaving to stand for an hour or two. Then I rinse in cooler water several times and often smaller quantities is easier. I always squeeze well and dry between a towel before putting to dry. 

In summer I dry on a table in the garden then finish off on a towel in the airing cupboard. In winter I dry on a towel in the airing cupboard and it is dry enough with the heating coming on as normal so that I can put another lot in the next day. In summer it takes longer to dry so I might wash every other day. 



The fleece, from Fudge the sheep, was enormous the largest I have had about 5/6 kgs from James at Ash Tree Flock
https://www.facebook.com/Ash-Tree-Flock-1904759509790609

Comments

  1. That is so impressive!! I just finished knitting a sweater with my handspun yarn, but I didn't start with my own sheep :) I ordered dyed fiber online, so I only had to blend and spin/ply it. What a lot of hard work!! But your blanket is absolutely gorgeous, and it makes me want to have a try. I love the close-up shot of the weave -- so pretty. About the tension issues: have you considered using a tensioning device? I started doing that (I have a 32" Ashford), and it's made a world of difference, especially when I'm using the whole width. Just a thought. Thanks for the inspiring post! I can tell you do enjoy it all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts