PORTLAND FLEECE WOVEN BLANKETS


My latest two blankets. This 100x145 on a 120 Ashford Rigid Heddle loom using a 2.5 heddle and home spun of about Aran weight.


I used my rug shuttle which proved to be very much better than a stick shuttle to manage both in less reach and it doesn't cause floaters.



This was a similar blanket I made previously but using a 5 heddle and the same yarn. I preferred the one with 2.5 heddle.


Using the sheep and globe as weights I twisted the fringes.


Good to compare the weaves with the previous one.


I started off slaying the loom intending to do a double weave but it was far too crowded to get a decent shaft. I threw half the warp threads behind the loom while I wove half of it, I then carefully wound each warp thread and put in a box for later and with a bit of ingenuity was able to re-use the remaining warps.


In reverse order I split the batt in four lengthwise and then each in half. I then droughted each one into a much thinner sausage.







Portland worked very well on my drum carder making it a pleasure to spin.




I prepared each lock on hand carders ( yes I know I could have spun from the lock but I am not very good at doing that)




This is a collection of skeins spun and washed.



 One bobbin spun and plyed.

Comments

  1. Both blankets are beautiful. That's a lot of hand-done fringe-twisting! Well done. I'm looking at that roving and the texture of the fiber and thinking how beautifully that would spin up. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M.K Thank you for your comments. I hadn't expected anyone to comment so hadn't even checked this blog for comments.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts