SHAWL FROM A LEICESTER LONGWOOL


This is a shawl I made for my daughter Rachel she is getting married in July to her long term partner Dave. I am hoping it is a lovely day but if there is a chill later in the day this might come in useful.



This was woven on my 120cms loom although I used only half the loom. I slayed 250cms of home spun Leicester Longwool. Off the loom it measured 180 cms x 55cms + 16cms of fringe each end.
Once fulled by hand it measured 180 x 52.5 + 16cms each fringe.

I used 13 full bobbins, 8 for weft and 5 for warp. 



This is my method for twisting the fringe the lamb is just handy for weighting the fabric while I twist.



I chose to twist two single warps so the tassels aren't too bulky.



I wove using a 5 dent heddle because I wanted a loose weave and my home spun was 12 wraps per inch a thin double knit weight.




I used my Glimakra rug shuttle which worked out really so much better than stick shuttles and I didn't have any floaters to deal with.




This was a single. I spun from the butt end of locks having opened each end with a hand carder, it took ages to adjust the tension suitably because I have previously spun about aran weight wool and so it was a bit like learning to spin all over again.





This was plyed.




Small groups of locks opened on one hand carder ready for spinning



 Box of locks washed and dryed, I pull locks out by tip end which is often easy to see as it tends to be a bit darker in colour.


This lovely fleece was from the son of a sheep named Unique which came from Yew Tree Farm Seighford. It is one of many lovely fleece I have had from this farm.

https://www.facebook.com/YTFSeighford 

Comments

Popular Posts