TANGLES ALL THE WAY - SLEYING MY LOOM UNDER EXTREME COMPLICATIONS


I returned to finish this project recently. It has not been my favourite projrct by any means, but at last its finished. 

There may be some delay before I weave the other two colorways. I need more fun than tea towels. Even though they are for family presents.
 




Size finished is 39 x 56 cms



Sleying my loom has been extremely difficult. Mainly due to health problems from Triple Negative Breast cancer with metastases to lung lymph nodes and brain lesion.

I am struggling with loss of fine motor skills with left hand, co-ordination issues especially left foot, arm leg and hand. Balance problems, head pressure, blury intermittent vision but hey I am still here and enjoying my fibre crafts.



Mike has been tremendous help re arranging furniture in both our downstairs rooms  and also helped so I could roll onto back beam.

I have been planning to weave some tea towels in three different colourways using Kelly Casanova Free Wash your hands Towels for two https://kellycasanovaweavinglessons.com/2020/04/wash-your-hands-towels-free-project.html

and https://handwovenmagazine.com/neilson-teaching-with-towels/ 

I decided on 8/2 cotton double in a size 10 dent heddle and borrowing my Grandaughters 60cm 24" loom so that it would be more manageable for my problems than my big loom.
I sleyed the loom 3.50meters long.





Excuse the mess but with furniture, downstairs bedroom and Grandchildrens' toys the place is very much lived in at present. Next colourway I need more space either side as my left foot has a tendency to trip over anything within half a meter of it!


Tangles, tangles tangles golden rules:-
1.Don't stand on cotton
2. Don't get cotton caught around velcro on sandalls. 
3. don't let an exciteable Meg get into the thread 
4. Don't try to slay 3+meteres in dining room.
5, If double warp is required DO NOT try and wind onto a seperate cone - it pulls off in TANGLES buy two cones cheap scate!
6. if it won't glide check to see if its Tangled don't yank it either end or the rod may fall off the pole and even more tangles. 
The first day had to be aborted and the second didn't start much better with even more tangles.



So who needs crossword puzzles or Sudoku when you have a bowl full of tangles to rescue for the weft?









These three reds plus black for edges and hems and to define colour changes were my first choice. But note already the problem and mess on the red cone which quickly gets worse and lots of tangles later.



Three colourways - black for reds and greens white for blues.


A box full of goodies from https://airedaleyarns.co.uk/ 

I spent ages deciding what thickness cotton I wanted to use and still think maybe 8/4 would have been better or thicker still.

I heard belatedly that my local supplier George Weil also sell cotton warp  

Comments

Popular Posts