DYED LEICESTER LONGWOOL FOR A SHAWL


This is my latest  project a shawl for myself. Finished at 177 x55cms not including 13 cm fringes once twisted.. 



It started out at 250cms warp using 66 slots on a 5 dent heddle ( yes it's off centre because I changed my mind about colours once I started warping.)



I used my glinka rug shuttle again, which is so much better than stick shuttles especially using my home spun which can be a bit 'sticky' in the sense the hairs catch easily to other warp/weft.


This is what I used for weft it was meant to be much lighter similar in shade to the warp at each end.


I ended up adding in some wool from previous projects the lovely shades of blue at each end were what I had hoped to replicate for the weft- massive fail! The green in the middle to help break the teal in order to reverse the sequence.


This is to illustrate how I put my stand on blocks so that I can keep my back straight for slaying the loom. It works well and I have a rod at the far end attached to chair arms which can be seen in the previous photo.



I did a little experiment with colours using a piece of cardboard. Ian Bowles - ( https://www.georgeweil.com )suggested this trick through a Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/UKweavingwithfixedheddle
It was really helpful because I had originally thought to use a white weft but decided on the middle blue although my dyeing skills need attention and the weft was much darker than I had intended. 


I dyed a variety of blues although the teal came out more green than I had hoped despite using the same proportions I have used before. 


I tried very hard to spin thinner than my usual aran weight and in general this was more a double knit weight, I also tried to ply less in order to hopefully get a softer yarn rather than a rope like texture. I also spun from the but after opening each end with one hand carder- I was so pleased to manage to get used to doing this and with fine fly away fleece it has worked really well.


It scoured very well hardly any vegetable matter I used my current method, which I describe in this post https://orangecottagescrafts.blogspot.com/2021/10/a-black-leicester-longwool-blanket-from.html



 Raw Leicester Longwool fleece one of many I have processed.


Around 1.8kg 5 inch staples little/ no VM, some felted sections some very open £16

Thank you to Yew Tree Farm for yet another lovely fleece

Comments

Popular Posts